I've Heard You .....

So, to say it has been a while since I last posted would be an understatement....so to those of you who have asked me directly to post an update.....and to those of you who have sent messages to me indirectly....this post is for you :) So, so sorry for the delay.

MUCH has happened since I last wrote an update. I think I left off with the completion of our home study. Following the home study process, we submitted our initial paperwork to USCIS - our official request to the US government for permission to adopt from China. As part of this process, Greg and I took a quick trip from West Plains to St. Louis for our biometrics (fingerprint) appointment in the federal building downtown. We drove up three hours to spend 10 minutes getting fingerprinted and then drive three hours back. We did get to enjoy a lunch with my family and good friends....but overall the day was LONG.  Approximately two weeks after this trip, we received our approval!

We then had various documents notarized, sent to the MO Secretary of State's Office for certification.....and then most recently.....sent to the Chinese Consulate in Chicago for authentification.

In the meantime - we have been told over and over to expect a long process. Even the USCIS staff in St. Louis told us to expect a five year process (for a healthy girl).  So, my mindset was at least two years for a child with a special need.  That was my expectation until a week and a half ago....when we received a call out-of-the-blue that we potentially have been matched with a child. I'll be honest and say I had a moment of internal panic - expectations plus reality equals FREAK OUT! 

In one single moment - it hit me...we're actually going to adopt a child.  No longer was it process and paperwork...it was going to be reality.

So...here is the scoop......
Our "potential" little girl was born in March of this year in China's Henan province.  She has a unilateral cleft lip and pallate, but it otherwise healthy. We do not know if she has had the surgery to correct this or not....we're working on gathering more information.  We were given pictures but have been asked not to share them until we are officially matched...which is in process. Once we are officially matched, it will be at least six months before we can travel to China to pick her up.

There is much more...but I'll save it for another post, and I promise to be more prompt!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG I am soooo stinkin excited about this!!!! Can not wait to meet this new bundle of joy!!!! Keep me posted!!!! God bless this family!!!!! love yall. - Hallie

Anonymous said...

WOW! This is amazing!! So exciting!! Cant wait til you bring your precious baby HOME!

Anonymous said...

Can't believe you didn't say anything when we saw you this afternoon. If that had been me, I wouldn't have been able to contain this information!! Congratulations!!!

Denise Estes said...

How exciting! I am glad things are moving so quickly for you all. We, of course, love our CL/CP babies...God has a purpose for that "special lip" she was given! John Mark and I couldn't be happier for you all.

Unknown said...

Congratulations! I am excited for you and your newest blessing. ;) You may've guessed already, but adoption is close to my heart. :)

Post a Comment